Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lady Broome's account of Rodrigues island

Lady Broome (1831-1911 pictured left) was an author who wrote the book Colonial Memories. Colonial Memories, her last book details her life in the British colonies in the 1800s. Her travel to Rodrigues (late 1800s) is mentioned in the book. Looking at the way she wrote, it does seem rather racist and politically incorrect. Here's a snippet from the book.

"All the men in the settlement had crowded round F. and the priests, so I found myself the centre of a large gathering of the women of Gabrielle, Children were there in numbers, but had no chance of getting near me, and there was always the difficulty of the language. What my smiling jet-black friends seemed most curious about was my "civil status," and that of the other lady. " Madame ou Ma'amzelle ?" was the incessant question to both of us. I singled out one extraordinarily ugly but beaming and big, fat girl to put the same question to, and I can never forget the' droll air of coquetry with which she laid one black finger against an equally black cheek, turned her head aside, and murmured bashfully, "Moi, je suis Modeste.""

No comments:

Post a Comment